Publish: March 27, 2023
- Be careful, when you are calculating your insulin needs for meals. Making the extra effort to double-check your dosage will save you time and hassle in the event of an overdose.
- Never give in to the desire to put delay eating or having a snack after injecting.
- Avoid taking injections while engaging in other activities, such as watching TV, conversing with others, or working on a different task, as doing so increases the likelihood that you may forget to administer the injection. Focus only on injecting the dose.
- When you are severely ill, injecting insulin should be done carefully because mistakes are more likely to occur. Ideally, wait until your blood sugar has stabilized before taking your regular insulin dose.
- Ask for help if the numbers or different levels on your insulin pen or syringe are difficult for you to see. See our page on diabetes and vision impairment for a list of injection assistance for those with vision problems.